Description and objectives:
Closed-loop (CL) flow control is a crucial enabler for efficiency improvement and the environmental footprint reduction of transportation means, energy production/distribution, and various industrial processes. The chaotic multi-scale nature of turbulence complicates, however, the task of controlling flows of industrial interest. This PhD project aims to assess the feasibility of CL active control for turbulent jets leveraging machine-learning tools. To this purpose, both free jet and impinging jet control experiments aiming at noise reduction and mixing and heat transfer enhancement. State-of-the-art experimental techniques, such as Particle Image Velocimetry and Infrared Thermography, among others, will be implemented to assess the fulfillment of these objectives.
The successful candidate will join the Experimental Aerodynamics and Propulsion Laboratory (https://aero.uc3m.es/eap-lab/), within the Aerospace Engineering Department (http://aero.uc3m.es/) of UC3M. They will work under the supervision of Dr. Marco Raiola and Dr. Carlos Sanmiguel within the project EXCALIBUR (Extracting Machine Learning Strategies for Turbulent Flow Control), Ref. PID2022- 138314NB-I00, funded by MCIN/AEI/10.13039/501100011033/ FEDER, UE.
Requirements and desirable profile:
● Young MSc holder (or MSc student with 60 ECTS passed at contract’s signature) with a background in one or more of the following disciplines: Aerospace Engineering, Fluid Dynamics, Applied Mathematics & Statistics, and Scientific Computing. Excellent candidates in other disciplines are also invited to apply.
● Knowledge of scientific programming environments (MATLAB, Python).
● Outstanding academic record; critical and creative thinking.
● International experience; team-working and communications skills.
● Good proficiency in English (oral and written).
● Ability to deal independently and proactively with scientific and engineering challenges.
● Eligible to work in Spain.
What we offer:
● 3-year contract (with optional 1-year extension); annual gross salary in the 21000-23000€ range.
● Become part of a young, dynamic, highly qualified, collaborative team.
● Flexible working environment and schedule.
● Opportunity to travel to international conferences to present research activities.
● Opportunity to carry out research internships abroad.
● Health coverage under the National Health System.
How to apply:
- CV (max. 4 pages), including relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Copy of diploma and grades from previous university studies.
- A motivation letter of experience, interests, and research goals (max. 1 page).
- The contact information for two references (will be contacted during the hiring process).
Submission of applications is due by September 15th, 2023 (though early applications are strongly encouraged, and later applications will be considered until the vacancy is filled).